Today, Zimmermann specializes in everything from one to six color printing, digital printing, full service bindery and complete mailing services, everything from "disk to distribution". Zimmermann provides the "art of true craftsmanship with the power of technology" to guide it into the 21st century.
Automated mail insertion equipment added to expand mailing capabilities.
Image personalization to combine data and imagery to produce unique and compelling personalized images added.
Microsite creation and other cross-media capabilities added.
Web-to-Publish capabilities added. Our solution is utilized by over half of all Fortune 500 companies for e-commerce.
High-speed black and white digital press added with in-line binding capabilities.
First high-end color digital printing press added.
First job run is a variable data job with mailing.
Electronic prepress is added allowing the Company to perform all high end scanning and produce punched plate ready films in house.
The company has expanded considerably since its beginning. Besides enlarging its quarters over the years, in 1992, Zimmermann Printing purchases Schroeder Printing Company (founded in 1883), which is located in Cedarburg.
The Company continues to run more four and six color work on its two color presses, thus a six color Heidelberg 40" press is added to allow the Company to be more efficient at this work.
A 15,000 square foot addition is added to the plant for 45,000 total square feet.
Additional bindery equipment for folding and saddle binding is added.
The Company adds a second Roland 40" two color press.
The Company runs all multi-color work on its single color presses until 1984 when the company purchases its first two-color Roland 40" press.
Richard's son, David, joins the company.
Zimmermann Printing Company moves to its present location at 3418 Washington Avenue. The Company continues to prosper and runs single, two-color and four-color work on its single color Miehle presses.
Upon his death in 1962, Gerhard's son, Richard, becomes president and sole owner of Zimmermann Printing Company.
Zimmermann Printing Company purchases its first offset press.
Richard Zimmermann joins Zimmermann Printing Company.
The Company was moved from its New York Avenue location to a new building at 7th and Niagara (708 Niagara Avenue). The building was 100 feet long and 77 feet wide and was decorated with a buff colored glaze tile. The Company had nine employees at the time.
Gerhard incorporated Zimmermann Printing Company and later moved the operations from New York Avenue to 7th Street and Niagara Avenue.
At the onset of Gerhard's tenure, he was a teacher at Milwaukee Technical College (now the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee). For about a year, he took the train daily from Milwaukee to Sheboygan to help Clara run the business. Gerhard ultimately left teaching and bought the company from Clara in 1921.
When Egbert died in 1920, his wife, Clara, and brother, Gerhard, took over the company's operations.
Eventually it grew to include printing and was taken over by Edward's son, Egbert, in 1916.
Started as a bookseller and bindery shop (E.F.W. Zimmermann Bookseller and Binder) by Edward Fredrick William (EFW) Zimmermann originally located at 815-817 New York Ave.